The Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club is proud to announce the introduction of CBD+ strains to its menu. CBD enriched strains offer improved pain management while reducing the secondary psychotropic effects normally associated with higher ratios of THC.
We also have dosage controlled capsules with CBD enriched oil for simple titration and sympton management.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the main cannabinoids present in the naturally growing populations and in the industrially cultivated varieties of Cannabis sativa L. CBD its not psychoactive and has several pharmacological properties, among others it acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound.
Cannabis sativa L. has been selectively bred for recreational uses to obtain the maximum “high”, so the level of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) have been increased very much (up to 20-25%) and, in upping the potency through selective breeding, CBD has been selectively eliminated from recreational varieties or, eventually, it is rarely found in specific varieties. CBD is often found in hemp – in varieties used to produce fiber and seeds.
The isolation of CBD was recorded back on 1940 by two independent investigation groups. The group of Adams and colleges successfully isolated it from marihuana 1. At the same time Jacob and Todd successfully isolated the cannabidiol from indian hemp resin 2. But was not until 1963 that Mechoulam and Shyo discovered the chemical structure of the CBD and enlightening the comprehension of the nature of the cannabinoids 3. At the next year 1964 Gaoni and Mechoulam finally elucidated the chemical structure of the main psychoactive compound of cannabis the THC matching the starting point of the modern pharmacology of cannabis 4.
Definition by project CBD, a California based non-profit educational service dedicated to promoting and publicizing research into the medical utility of cannabidiol (CBD):
Cannabidiol —CBD— is a compound in Cannabis that has medical effects but does not make people feel “stoned” and actually counters some of the effects of THC. After decades in which only high-THC Cannabis was available, CBD-rich strains are now being grown by and for medical users.
The reduced psychoactivity of CBD-rich Cannabis may make it an appealing treatment option for patients seeking anti-inflammatory, anti-pain, anti-anxiety and/or anti-spasm effects without disconcerting euphoria or lethargy.
Scientific and clinical studies indicate that CBD could be effective in easing symptoms of a wide range of difficult-to-control conditions, including: rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, alcoholism, PTSD, epilepsy, antibiotic-resistant infections and neurological disorders. CBD has demonstrated neuroprotective effects, and its anti-cancer potential is currently being explored at several academic research centers in the U.S. and other countries.
Read more on the project CBD website:
- Cannabis is more than simply delta9-tetrahydrocannabinolEthan B. Russo · John M. McPartlandhttp://www.omma1998.org/Psychopharmacology-Russo-McPartland.pdfPublished online: 19 December 2002Springer-Verlag 2002
- Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an ancient herbAngelo A. Izzo, Francesca Borrelli, Raffaele Capasso, Vincenzo Di Marzo and Raphael Mechoulamhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19729208Org. Biomol. Chem., 2005, 3, 1116 – 1123
- Cannabinoids: potential anticancer agents.Nat Rev Cancer. 2003 Oct; 3(10):745-55.Guzmán Manuel, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, School of Biology,Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spainhttp://www.brainlife.org/reprint/2003/guzm%C3%A1n_m031000.pdf
- Enantiomeric cannabidiol derivatives: synthesis and binding to cannabinoid receptorsLumír O. Hanu, Susanna Tchilibon, Datta E. Ponde, Aviva Breuer,Ester Fride and Raphael Mechoulamhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15750656
- Cannabidiol: from an inactive cannabinoid to a drug with wide spectrum of actionAntonio Waldo ZuardiDepartment of Neurology, Psychiatry and Medical Psychology,Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto, Universidade de São Paulo (USP), Brazilhttp://bit.ly/a3lcSS
- MECHOULAM ON CANNABIDIOLFrom O’Shaughnessy’s // Winter/Spring 2008http://projectcbd.org/MechoulamOnCannabidiol.html#Mechoulam